4. The importance of effective preaching
-The enemy of excellent preaching is busyness; spend adequate time preparing and researching your messages.
-Speak to the mind; help your people learn something new each week.
-Inspire them in some way; speak to their heart.
-Give them a specific example of how they can respond to the message.
5. Whatever it takes
-The successful church is willing to do the things an unsuccessful church isn’t willing to do.
6. The power of outstanding follow-up and follow through
-Consistent and clear follow up is the key.
-Remember it’s about people and relationships.
(Church of the Resurrection visits every household that visits their church, on that Sunday night or the following Monday. The family receives a gift and a thank you, that’s all. Out of the first 400 people at Church of the Resurrection there was only 1 that didn’t return to the church, after this follow up. )
7. The reverse diamond principle
-Adam Hamilton believes that discipleship is beginning to happen in a different pattern then Rick Warren’s diamond.
-The original pattern is somewhat like this:
1. Commit to Jesus & the Church; 2. Grow in Maturity; 3. Serve in Ministry; 4. Reach out the the world.
-What is beginning to happen now is:
1. People are beginning to see Jesus through reaching out to the world (missions trips, food pantries, etc.)
2. Then people are getting a passion for consistent ministry.
3. They then grow in maturity by serving in ministry.
4. Finally we see them commit to Jesus and the Church, usually more effectively.
I hope that these are useful tips for ministry.